For a long time there was only one opinion on the question of gender: male or female. But what does it mean to be intersex?
Intersexual: What is behind it?
- There is a lot of talk in Germany about the so-called third sex. Advertisements for jobs are now often given with male (m), female (w) and divers (d) in the sexes. But what is behind it?
- First and foremost, they are intersex people . These are characterized by the fact that they live from birth with innate genitals / gender features, which do not allow a clear assignment in male and female.
- Often these people refer to themselves as hermaphrodites or hybrids . Some intersex people also realize only during puberty that their bodies are not gender , that they actually live or feel. So even after giving birth, there can still be physical transformations that turn a supposedly “normal” child into an intersex person.
- In practice, intersexuality can be expressed in such a way that, for example, both ovaries and testicles are present (rather rare). The genitals are usually pronounced in a hybrid between male and female.
Intersexual: delimitation to transgender and transsexuality
- Transgender: People who do not feel well with their assigned gender or reject a clear classification. Some intersex people fall into this category.
- Transsexuals: Transsexuals are clearly described as male or female by birth, but they feel that they belong to the opposite gender.
Intersexual: terms and syndromes
For the determination of intersexuality, hormones and genes must be checked by blood tests . It is usually genetic defects that prevent a clear classification of the chromosomes in XX (female) or XY (male). Since these are not found routinely after birth with an unremarkable appearance, it often happens that in some people, intersexuality is detected much later.
Overall, there are many forms and syndromes of intersexuality, so we will introduce two well-known features shortly.
- AGS: Adrenogenital syndrome is the most prevalent. Although the babies have female chromosomes, at the same time there is an increased production of adrogens, such as testosterone. If not treated, a masculinist of the external sexual characteristics will eventually come to life.
- AIS: Androgen resistance syndrome is characterized by the fact that those born with male chromosomes are born, but the body at least partially does not accept the secreted androgens. As a result, the genitals may appear female and since the testicles are inside, the “girls” are often surprised only at puberty, when menstruation fails.
Intersexuality is not a medical diagnosis because there are many different manifestations and causes. It is therefore difficult to measure how many intersex people there are. According to estimates of malformation monitoring in Saxony-Anhalt, about one-half to one person is affected by 1000 children . By contrast, the Federal Constitutional Court quotes a ratio of 500: 1 .
Intersexual: Dealing and Gender Registration
- Especially for parents, dealing with an intersex child is a challenge. For a long time, physicians have recommended that parents opt for surgery at an early age and thus make a clear commitment to one's gender. Of course, this was also due to the fact that by law a division into male or female was required already in the first week after the birth.
- Meanwhile, the so-called third sex is accepted and intersexual people can register under the name "divers" . As a result, the pressure is not so high as to premature the much-criticized operations. This way, the children can later decide for themselves whether they want to belong to a gender or want to live their role as an intersex person in society.
If you want to talk to others about sexual orientation and gender, check out our BRIGITTE community .